Monday 11 November 2013

Interview with...Charlotte Crowther

This week we welcome Charlotte Crowther, Grinberg Method Practitioner and Reflexologist, to Golborne Place. We thought this would be the perfect time to find out a little more about Charlotte's journey to becoming complimentary therapist as well as a few words of wisdom from the lovely lady!




Charlotte, you're a lady of many talents! We hear you studied fine art, how did you go from the art world to the Grinberg Method


Thanks Amy! Yes, I studied at Oxford University in the Ruskin School of Drawing & Fine Art. During the course I found a need to express myself fully and to create in the truest sense of the word. I was frustrated with the intellectual approach that is dominant in contemporary art. As part of my exploration, I began to make paintings that were larger than my body span, which meant in order to paint I had to move my whole body. I also decided to not have a plan while working, and simply see what came up. To my surprise I found that each painting was incredibly different, had its own qualities, was a new experience, and reflected who I was and how I was at the time. The paintings would have been very different if I had painted who and how I thought I was! 

The experience of doing a number of these paintings showed me how much we change, how many options we have when we quieten our minds, and how our movements can not only reflect who or how we are, but by having attention to these movements, we can also influence and choose who and how we are. It was a very freeing, expansive and illuminating experience. 






After the course I wanted to explore this more directly. I didn't know where to start but it was clear I didn't need to make paintings to explore the subject, I needed to investigate it directly in my own life and in collaboration with others. I also wasn't feeling one hundred percent - for several years I had discomfort in my belly which seemed to be more or less severe erratically, as well as a sensation of not being fully satisfied, and periods of little energy and feeling lethargic. I remembered how during these years I had enjoyed receiving Reflexology as a support, and found the sessions useful, so I decided to start studying it. I loved learning about the body, and how much we can influence it and our well-being with our diet, emotions, exercise, relaxation and sleep. I also began practicing Tai Chi and enjoyed the quietness and focus I reached through the movements. However, I found both personally and in working with others, if we did not stop relevant aspects in our lives, the symptoms or sensations that disturbed us would remain - perhaps to a lesser degree, but without the sensation of a complete recovery or change. 

Shortly after living and working in Barcelona five years ago, I came across the Grinberg Method and was amazed by it's proposal that we can learn how to be well - learn how to increase our energy, manage pain, quieten our non-stop thoughts, stop what limits us.. And as well as learning such life skills, train in applying them in situations in life where we struggle to use the abilities and qualities we possess to reach our desired outcome. The sessions were simple, the learning through the mind and body, and with practice I created clear results, changes and steps in my life. I found a practical way to apply what I learnt while painting, and decided to train in the Grinberg Method to learn more. Since I've worked with people from all walks of life and ages. I am grateful and enjoy to collaborate and continually learn with others in their wishes to develop, break limits, gain new experiences, and give their best - both personally and professionally.



Wow, what a journey! I feel a lot more informed now hearing your personal journey to this practice. What do you think is the most valuable lesson you've learnt from the Grinberg Method?

I've learnt and continue to learn many valuable lessons! Currently I'm enjoying learning how to act on what I truly wish for and not follow the tricks and reasoning of my mind..!


Do you have any valuable insider lifestyle tips for us?  

That's a very personal question - I say that because I think living well for each of is completely unique and constantly changes. We probably would describe what it is to live well differently as we each have different body make-ups, experiences, jobs, relationships. For me, there is no one approach that fits all nor at all times - I think it's wise to get different reference points, experiment, and be attentive to how you are.


How do you relax? 
I love to meet with friends, dance, cook, and get outdoors.


You've spent the last five years living in Barcelona, maybe you can give us a local's tip for a must-see place to visit on our hols in Barca? 
A must-see is Gaudi's 'Casa Batlló'. It's a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience. There is no-one like him.
A must-do is wander in the winding, old and narrow Roman streets and discover the numerous squares of the 'Gotico' quarter.
A must-eat is of course any of the delicious tapas. I recommend 'Cervecería Catalana' for their fresh classic dishes and great atmosphere.


Thanks! And what is it about London that drew you back here?
Many things! First-off would be the large scope of the city - from the quantity and variety of people one can meet and engage with, to the many little corners and communities throughout the metropolis. I also love the ambition people have here in general. I wish for lots too!


If you could take only 5 things to a secret deserted island, what would they be?!
Someone dear to me to share the experience with, a sketch-pad and drawing materials, contact lenses, fish net, and cooking materials!


Who inspires you? 
I'm inspired by anyone I meet who is themselves and does what moves them.


Finally, tell us a little something about yourself - what do enjoy doing when you’re not practicing at Golborne Place and in Barcelona?!

I'm quite an adventurer/ traveller/ explorer.. this means I regularly like to discover unknown places both close by and far away.. and I can get up to all sorts of projects with this curiosity.. for example a few years back, I co-organised and participated in a Cambridge University expedition to the Peruvian Andes. 




We carried out medical research on high altitude sickness, climbed peaks (with the aim that some would have been first British ascents had there not been so much risk of avalanches), and created artwork for exhibition in the UK. It was a year-long project, endorsed by the Royal Geographical Society and supported by the explorer Ranulph Fiennes and artist Richard Wentworth.


Amazing! :) Sounds like you've had an exciting and fruitful few years! And thanks for the snaps Charlotte.


If you would like to book in with Charlotte for an introductory session this week, between the 14th and 17th, or if you'd just like to get a feel for the Grinberg Method with a 20 minute taster, give us a call on 020 8969 8907 or email amy@golborneplace.com.

Alternatively to contact Charlotte directly call 07463861218 or email charlotte@learntobewell.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment